Home » WRITING SAMPLE: 2

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

WRITING SAMPLE: 2

Writing Sample – Week 4

Jo Swanson argues that the central objective of Food Not Bombs is to fill the power vacuum created by natural, economic, or political crises with a compassionate, community-based system where everyone participates and no one goes hungry or lives in poverty (p.13). This statement prompts me to consider the connections between politics, policies, and access to resources, such as food, especially in the United States. It is a reminder that there are other areas to include in my research and discussions to improve my knowledge of power and economic or political crises.

One of the government’s main features is to seek more power, influence, and dominance, sometimes resulting in inhumane policies. For instance, we create bombs for war against other countries, destroying lands and resources necessary for people’s survival, leading to an economic crisis. This crisis primarily impacts regular civilians, especially those with little or no help, often contributing to dire levels of homelessness. Our policy processes and systems are complex, making change challenging and discouraging.

Swanson’s story reflects on how the movement started, and 30 years later, it is still necessary because injustice persists. Achieving egalitarianism is challenging due to the complexities and lack of a clear path to libertarianism. Swanson’s statement, “The practice of nonviolence includes respect for all cultural backgrounds,” highlights the need to challenge racism, classism, gender bias, homophobia, and other oppressive behaviors to create a self-sustaining world (p.22). However, policies often involve self-interests, making it difficult to achieve this goal. The constitution, written by white men for themselves, is a clear example of creating a significant divide towards racism and classism.

Don Mitchell’s statement, “To call homelessness in the United States a ‘crisis’ is to abuse the language,” is authentic and unforgettable. Homelessness is a feature of neoliberalism that negatively impacts people by continuing to diminish resources they are already struggling to obtain or maintain. It is a part of capitalism that makes housing less affordable and promotes inequity and homelessness.

Policymakers and their confederates have persuaded us to believe that there is a homeless crisis and that the homeless population is not part of what some consider a normal society for policy changes to promote inclusion and equity, our capitalistic system needs to be destroyed, something that industry players would resist.

In conclusion, Jo Swanson’s statement on Food Not Bombs’ central objective prompted me to expand my research and views to improve my knowledge of power and economic or political crises. Homelessness is a feature of neoliberalism that negatively impacts people, and achieving egalitarianism is challenging due to the complexities and lack of a clear path to libertarianism. I will continue to maintain my belief in American policies, created to benefit the white population and is also the primary reason for the success of capitalism.

To see any significant change, we must begin with changing policies. Otherwise, we will continue stuck in this neverending cycle of changing a few features while maintaining their primary focus and intent. Challenging racism, classism, gender bias, homophobia, and other oppressive behaviors is essential to creating an autonomous world.